Theoretical Computer Science Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for theoretical computer scientists and researchers in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

There are two chinese students who would like to come to Spain to pursue a PhD in TCS in our group. I know of course the funding possibilities in my country but wonder if you know any European and non-European and Chinese funding calls or opportunities for doing PhD.

An extension of this questions; is it there around any funding/grant stack exchange site or which ones do you use to track grants?

share|cite|improve this question
We get a booklet 3 times a year full of all sorts of funding schemes. I'd check with the research office; there are often bilateral exchange agreements. – Dave Clarke Jul 16 '11 at 21:52
that is great, thanks a lot! – flow Jul 16 '11 at 21:53
to whoever downvoted, it would be helpful if you explained why. – Suresh Venkat Jul 16 '11 at 23:56
I did. It's important for a soft question to be more specific and provide resources for context. – Huck Bennett Jul 17 '11 at 0:38
There is FP7, Marie Curie, etc. – Joe Fitzsimons Jul 18 '11 at 0:27
up vote 7 down vote accepted

Never having worked or studied in Spain, I can not really help with local information. However, as I mentioned in the comments, the most obvious source for such funding in European universities (aside from internal university or departmental sources and local research councils) would be funding from the European Research Council. The ERC has many different kinds of grants, including training networks and personal grants, which can often be used to fund overseas students from. Additionally, the European Commission offers funding for postgraduates and postdocs via Marie Curie actions.

Further, there is the China Scholarship Council which also offers support for students wishing to study abroad.

Then there are the industry scholarships: Google, IBM, Microsoft, etc.

If either of the students is female, then there are more options (see Google's Anita Borg scholarship, etc.).

Lastly, many European countries have bilateral agreements with China or Chinese institutions which may be another potential source of funding.

share|cite|improve this answer

Recently, a new Sino-Danish institute was announced, Center for the Theory of Interactive Computation(CTIC). From what I've read, I got the impression that Chinese students are welcome to visit Denmark for their PhD and vice versa.

You will probably be aware of the Erasmus Programme, however I am not sure if Chinese students can apply to it directly, they can certainly do once they join a European university as students and spend a seimester visiting another university.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.