Is there a common name in combinatorics for words that do not have square of size 1 ? That is words such that no symbols appears twice in a row or, more formally, words not in $\bigcup_{s\in\Sigma} \Sigma^* s s \Sigma^*$ where $\Sigma$ is our alphabet.

  • 5
    $\begingroup$ I propose calling the occurrence of a repeated letter a “hiccup” and correspondingly calling your language hiccup-free. $\endgroup$
    – Aryeh
    Jan 31, 2022 at 17:38

1 Answer 1


I would call them stutter-free words, since there is the notion of stutter-invariant language, which is already well-known.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.