I’m a software developer with more than 25 years of professional experience in all aspects of software development, including technical leadership and project management. I have a passion for building elegant, maintainable software that addresses real-world problems. Since 2006, I’ve been focused on software applications that improve human health using both clinical and genetic data. Before that, I spent nine years as a software development consultant in a wide variety of businesses, including financial and educational enterprises.
As a developer, I see great promise in functional programming (FP) techniques. My main interest currently is in developing software with FP languages and promoting FP principles within technical organizations. I spend most of my programming time these days in F#, which I believe is the most effective and productive programming language for a large number of problem domains. I tend to focus on back-end development, extracting useful information from data.
I’m interested in new opportunities, but I am very selective. Remote work is a must. I’m most productive using F# and SQL Server, so that’s the kind of environment I’m looking for. (I also have years of experience with C#, but the first thing I’m going to do is convince you that most of your C# development should be done in F# instead. Similarly, I have experience with NoSQL databases, but I’m probably going to try to convince you to switch to a relational database instead.)
I’m available starting in Q3 of 2022. I’m not looking for a consulting gig or any other indirect arrangement. Bonus: If you mention Brown M&M’s to me, I’ll be impressed that you read this far and paid attention.
- Software development using functional programming techniques
- Software system architecture and design
- Software development team management and leadership
- Project vision, analysis, and requirements gathering
- Iterative development using Scrum and other agile methodologies
- Object-oriented analysis, design, and programming
- Machine learning and data science
- .NET Framework/Core
- Visual Studio
- SQL Server
- Metadata automated system (patent #9626388)
- I have two other patents pending related to natural language parsing